Never rolled at an another academy before?
Here are a few basic BJJ Open Mat Etiquette rules you should follow:
Academy House Rules
Always respect house rules. If you are not familiar with them… ask before you roll. (You can always call or email ahead.)
- Never walk on the mats in shoes or flip-flops.
- Some schools have restrictions on who can roll at an open mat; make sure you’re “cleared” to roll.
- Some schools also have specific uniform restrictions (i.e. only gi, or only white gis).
- Some schools have traditions you may be unaware of; i.e. not asking a higher belt to roll, they ask you.
- Ask if there’s anything else you should know.
Basic BJJ Courtesy
- Introduce yourself to the professor, and thank him/ her afterward.
- Always offer or ask about a mat fee.
- Yield to higher belts when rolling; especially in tight spaces.
- Be aware of other people rolling around you.
- Introduce yourself to other students… we all have the same goal.
Basic BJJ Hygiene
- Wear a clean gi. That also means one without rips or tears.
- Wear shoes everywhere except on mat… but especially in bathrooms!
- Make sure your toenails & fingernails are clipped.
- If you have any cuts, tape them up before hitting the mat.
- Respect the locker room… it should go without saying, but clean up after yourself. You’re a guest in someone else’s house.